The colder months of the winter and spring seasons bring holidays, family time, and more respiratory illnesses than any other time of the year. We spend a lot more time inside with our families and other people because we are restricted from doing most of our favorite outdoor activities like hiking or walking or biking to work, but the main reason is because viruses live longer in lower temperatures with lower humidity. It’s far more likely that you will be exposed to a virus or the flu during these months, but there are things you can do to protect yourself.
Chinese medicine has been around for the past 3,500 years and uses a total body approach to health and wellness that includes acupuncture, Tai Chi, meditation, and herbal remedies. These herbal remedies are used to bring balance back to the body and mind, treat symptoms and illness, and boost immune system health.
Let’s discover some of the herbs that are used in Chinese medicine and what they can do for you.
– This powerhouse immune booster has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant agents and can also reduce stress and improve endurance.
– This antibacterial and antiviral ingredient not only improves immunity, but it also reduces inflammation and blood sugar levels.
– This tasty addition to many foods has also been used to treat sore throats and stomach aches for years. It also fights off various types of infections.
– Also used for pain relief, elderberry has natural antihistamine, anti-inflammatory, and antiviral effects.
– This “great protector” is the Reishi mushroom and has been shown to increase white blood cells and strengthen the immune system. It is used to hinder bacteria and viruses that could cause the flu.
– Both aromatic and delicious, its antimicrobial, antibiotic, and antiviral properties can protect against the common cold.
When cold and flu season hits, we can use all the help we can get to stay healthy and to protect those around us. If you are interested in Chinese medicine for overall health, contact Seasons in Our Life to learn more.